Through The Looking Glass

"See the world through the eyes of a creative contributor who loves to illustrate the small
adventures that life creates. My hope is to put down in words and portraits especially those things that are apparent yet not always on parchment. Today unique thoughts, accounts, illustrations, and experiences may not remain distinctive but satisfaction can still be derived from the recognizable sentiment of them and from the faithful bonds they create."

Thursday, April 15, 2010

~Atta Diamond Cuts~

Today I wanted to surprise my hubby with something special from my childhood days. Aha! Idea Ammachi! I started craving for these just as soon as the idea showed up. Not only did I surprise my hubby, I impressed him so much that he said he could eat these for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!


Sweet! 

















Salty!


Ingredients
  • Atta (wheat) flour - 1.5 Cups
  • All purpose flour (maida) - 1 Cup
  • Powdered Sugar - 2/3 Cup
  • Salt - a pinch
  • Water - as needed
  • Olive Oil - 2-3 tbsp ~ enough to shallow fry ~ alternative: use vegetable oil
Method
1. Sift and mix well atta, all purpose flour, salt, and powdered sugar into a bowl.
2. Add small amts. of water, and mix with hand, until it becomes one large ball of dough.
3. Knead the dough for a min., then create tennis size balls which you should thinly roll out with a rolling pin.
4. Cut diamond shapes with a large knife (or whatever knife works).
5. Heat oil in a large pan, and place diamond cut slices into it until it browns. 


~I like to shallow fry, unless I really have to use more oil for something. This snack is quite healthy and palatable. 


You can create these without adding the sugar, instead add:
  •  two pinches of red chilli powder
  • two-three pinches ajwain seeds
  • another pinch or two of salt 

(mixing all three into the dry ingredients before creating the dough) to make it a nice salty snack!







No comments:

Post a Comment