Dry red chillies - 5
Black Peppercorns - 1 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1.5 (heaped) tbsp
Cardamom cloves - 4 ~ seeded
Cinnamon stick - 1 one inch stick
Bay leaves - 3
Also for Marinade
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 (full) tbsp
Salt - to taste
Green chillies - 2-3 ~ to taste
Vinegar - small splash
Lime - juice of 1/2 a lime
Coriander powder - 1/4 tsp
Olive oil - 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 2 tsp
Pearl Onions (Kunjulli) - 6
Yellow onion - 1/2 of one
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 18 leaves
Tomato - 1 small
Coconut pieces - 1/4 cup ~ medium slices
Beef - about 2 lbs ~ medium thin cubes
Red wine - 2 tsp ~ just a small splash
1. Cut beef into medium thin cubes and place in bowl to marinade.
2. Without oil, roast the first batch of ingredients for about 5-6 mins. Then grind in a mortar pestle and rub all over meat.
3. Add the second batch of ingredients to the meat, mix well and marinade meat on counter top for 30 mins, or more in the fridge.
4. Heat olive oil in a pan, and splutter mustard seeds.
5. Now add both types of onion and cook until golden brown.
6. Add the turmeric powder, garam masala mix well, then add curry leaves.
7. Add the tomatoes and cook for at least 5 mins. Now add the coconut pieces and cook until you can smell the coconut aroma.
8. Now place beef into this mixture and fry in med-low heat, being very careful to mix well, for 30-40 mins. until meat color changes to a dark brown! Add a splash of red wine within 5-10 mins. of frying meat.
~Have with rice, appam, or chappatis (rotis) :)